Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wretched Womanhood


     

        
When a female reaches puberty, certain changes in her reproductive system and hormonal levels cause curves to appear (that’s the good part) and menstrual cycle to begin (it may have been good for some, but it wasn’t for me). 


 The monthly period, that’s what they call it. Not in my case. I call mine
“irregularly regular period” (I’d have two regular periods, then a pause
for a month or two, followed by another month or so of normal
menstrual cycles). No, it wasn’t normal. But I still think my “irregularly regular period” was a blessing. At least I didn’t have to suffer from the infuriating abdominal cramps that came with it (ALWAYS!) every month, 12 times a year. 


Dysmenorrhea (or dysmenorrhoea) is a gynecological medical condition prior to or during menstruation that interferes with daily activities, as defined by the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). This may not be the most detailed, but for me, it is the best definition of menstrual cramps. It definitely interferes with my daily activities. It actually ruins not only my day, but almost my entire week.  


I already consulted an ob-gyne about my condition. I was young then, so not a lot of things were done (no rectal/vaginal ultrasound). She simply did some inspection, palpation, and percussion on my abdominal and pelvic areas, and prescribed painkillers (Flanax) that I should take regularly on the first two days of my period “before I feel the pain” (analgesics work best when taken before the nerve-endings/pain receptors were stimulated). 


The doctor’s instructions did not work for me. It was impossible for me to predict/follow my menstrual cycle. I was even brought to the ER once and was given multiple shots (I didn’t even know what they were then) before the pain left. 


My irregularly regular period and dysmenorrhea haunted me for almost a decade. NOT ANYMORE. 


My salvation: DIET AND EXERCISE. 


The next entry will discuss and illustrate exercises that work best with women who get annoying menstrual cramps. Here’s to finally putting an end to women’s dilemmas through safe and even extremely beneficial ways!

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you.
    the salvation diet

    ReplyDelete